Monday, February 22, 2016

Using the Rolling Stones


On the first day of class, as part of my introduction, I tell my students they are in for more than just an economics class. Within the class, I give dating advice, which I will post about later, better use of study time, and a new appreciation of music. I tell them, jokingly, that most of their parents have failed them and that I will help them in that area. As part of each of my test or daily quiz, I play a "Eagles Radio" Pandora station, in which if they can identify who the artist is and who sings the song, they get a bonus point. They look forward it and it has become a distinctive of my class. 

On one of the first days of class, we list to the Rolling Stones song, "You can't always get what you want" and talk about scarcity and the differences between needs and wants, which the come to see as not being different at all. We also talk about unlimited wants and the need to choose. Even though most of my students do not listen to this type of music, they seem to really like it when we listen to it as a class.

Live version of the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM_p1Az05Jo

No comments:

Post a Comment