Saturday, February 14, 2015

Starting Your Own Microeconomics Course

This year I am teaching both an economics and personal finance course as well as AP Micro/Macro. The former is online and already made so I am spending my time finding resources for the latter.  But I have been asked a number of times about non AP economics.  If I were starting from scratch to make an honors' or standard economics class, I might consider looking at the new MRUniversity run by two George Mason University professors.  The class does not go into the great detail that is done by Foos or ACDC or Welker Economics but they have real world scenarios that students will be able to recognize and use to remember the concepts in addition to very professional videos.

While I haven't had a chance to look at all of the videos, they are extremely professional, but without the problem figuring that are necessary to AP classes.  But that doesn't mean it can't be another resource for you course.  To my mind, kids are much better seeing something shown to them in an interactive video than having a one time only that can't be referenced in the future.  Also, face it, kids love using their smartphones and are more willing to view videos than look at a textbook. 

So, here is the outline for MRUniversity for Microeconomics and here is the YouTube playlist for those videos. 

There are some videos for macroeconomics on their site, but not nearly an entire course. 

No comments:

Post a Comment