Monday, September 18, 2017

Investing in a College Education



I like bringing up controversial subjects, both here and in class. It makes things are memorable and students feel like you are being honest with them. This is no different. In the school in which I work 99% of students are accepted and will attend, a four-year college. I know that that is not the norm. For some students it is a decision of making money now, for others, it can be a question of how to pay for college, and still, others might not be aware of what it means to get a college degree. Though I would argue that college is not for everyone, most people do benefit from a college education. I like showing the video above when talking about opportunity cost. I then go to the National Council for Economic Education for some great lessons on a college degree. I like giving students all of the information possible before making a decision. This can lead to some great discussions. In addition, you can explore the questions of:

If a college education is so great, should we use tax money to pay for it?

What kind of degrees is worth it?

When he talks about the billionaires, is the reason those are well-known stories is that they are rare?

What kind of jobs are available for those who do not go to college?

When are vocational skills the right fit?

No comments:

Post a Comment